The Person Behind The Posts

Thursday, July 19, 2012

He Ain't Heavy. He's My Moshiach.



The Nine Days. Not a terribly creative name for the period between Rosh Chodesh Av and Tisha B'Av. It's a heavy time in Jewish history, focused on the destruction of the First and Second Temples among other great tragedies in Jewish history. Since we mark it with customs of semi-mourning, I don't feel right wishing anyone Chodesh Tov this month.

But more, there is a heavy sense of anticipation in the air around me. In certain circles, there is much talk about Moshiach making himself known to us by Tisha B'Av this year. How many shiurim have I watched that explain why 5772 is a significant year? How many books and articles have I read about geula? How many blog posts have I forwarded to the GeulaWatch group? How many times have I imagined life as we know it changing very dramatically, very, very soon?

I can't quite wrap my brain around the idea that this might really be the time of our redemption. I feel  tension in my belly. Maybe, maybe, maybe. What if? What if? But really, what if?

Oof! This feeling, this constant anticipation, is so hard to articulate.

I learned in the name of Rav Mordechai Eliyahu, zt"l, that we are supposed to wait for Moshiach like we wait for a bus, checking our watches, peering down the street, fully expecting the bus [the redeemer], to show up any minute now.

For 10 minutes, for 20 minutes, maybe for half an hour you can wait like that. But for days? For weeks? For months? For years? Decades? Centuries? For two millennia?? It's not any easy thing to do.

My sister-in-law recently asked me if I have a Plan B was in case, Gd-forbid, Moshiach does not reveal himself to the Jewish people by this Tisha B'Av.

I told her, "I'll keep on waiting."

This video, about being ready for the redemption in innocence and purity, is under two minutes long. It's worth the click.





4 comments:

Moriah said...

Wow! That was awesome..

I'm waiting too ;-)

yaak said...

Good post.

Shira said...

I know this is presumptuous but would it be possible for you to give some links to some of the shiurim/articles/blog posts about geula that you've seen? I haven't been able to find many which aren't aimed at Christians, which you can imagine is very frustrating. Thank you!

rutimizrachi said...

In the spirit of expecting the Geula Shelaima at any moment and therefore Moshiach's birthday party, I am going to wish you a Chodesh Tov, dear friend. See you at the celebration!